New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is transiting to Real ID compliancy and starting October 28, 2017 will start issuing Real ID compliant Driver's Licenses and ID credentials.
The list below details the updates that have been made to the PDF417 barcode for this transition. ALL cards (State Documents, Real ID Documents, and Enhanced Documents) issued by the DMV after 10/28/2017 will contain these updates:
- New Version Number: With the revision to both the card and the barcode structure, the PDF417 barcode has been given a new version number (version 03). Any software that validates the version code within the barcode will need to be updated to accept both old and new cards with version 01, 02, and 03.
- Additional (Real ID) Fields: In order to issue Real ID compliant documents, all cards issued after 10/28/2017 will contain three new fields in the main element of the PDF417 barcode. These fields are as follows:
- DDA - Compliance Type - Real ID indicator set to "F" for Fully Compliant or "N" Non-Compliant as appropriate.
- DDB - Card Revision Date - Date of Card Revision set to "09282017"
- DDD - Limited-Term Document Indicator - Limited-Term indicator set to "1" for Limited-Term documents, or "2" for non-Limited-Term documents.
Please let us know if you have any questions. We are here to help!