Last night, the New York City Hospitality Alliance, a membership-based association founded in 2012 that aims to foster the growth and vitality of the hospitality industry, hosted its inaugural awards ceremony at the iconic Marquee nightclub in Manhattan.
The event celebrated the restaurants, bars, nightlife establishments, and professionals throughout the five boroughs that have made an impact on the city's booming hospitality industry.
"It was an amazing night," says Andrew Rigie, the Executive Director of the New York City Hospitality Alliance. "We are a passionate industry and it's important to recognize the hard work and dedication these individuals and businesses put into their craft. Hospitality is an art, and we are so proud to honor and celebrate their contributions."
Award winners were determined by the majority vote submitted by subscribers of the New York City Hospitality Alliance distribution list (*unless otherwise noted), and were announced yesterday at the ceremony.
Award categories and winners are:
- Big Apple Legacy Award - Goes to an individual whose success and influence will leave a lasting impact on the NYC hospitality industry.
Winner: Jeffrey Bank, The Alicart Restaurant Group (Carmine's & Virgil's Real Barbecue)
- Philanthropy Served Here Award - Goes to a hospitality industry company and charitable organization that work together to make the neighborhoods of NYC a more hospitable place - with a focus on the restaurant industry.
Winner: fresh&co / Food Education Fund
- Next Generation Award - Goes to an up-and-coming or established mover and shaker who is still early in their hospitality industry career *winner selected by Judge's Committee
Winner: John Meadow (LDV Hospitality)
Nominees: John Meadow (LDV Hospitality); Joseph Johnson (The Cecil and Minton's); Deuki Hong (The Circle Hospitality Group)
- The Determination Award - Goes to an individual who started at an entry-level job in the hospitality industry and is now in a leadership role *winner selected by Judge's Committee
Winner: Robert McGovern (The Refinery Hotel)
- Hearts of Hospitality Award presented by Fox Rothschild LLP - Goes to an individual who is recognized for excellence in the profession of human resources in hospitality *winner selected by Human Resource Professionals in Hospitality
Winner: Angie Buonpane (Union Square Hospitality Group)
Nominees: Angie Buonpane (Union Square Hospitality Group); Susan Spikes (Hill Country Hospitality); Yvonne Mancini (Crafted Hospitality)
- Four Stars Award - Goes to a critic/reviewer/writer who has established an industry-following for hospitality news coverage
Winner: Ryan Sutton (Eater New York)
Nominees: Ryan Sutton (Eater New York); Mimi Sheraton (formerly of The New York Times, Time, Conde Nast Traveler, Harper's Bazaar and Vogue); Steve Cuozzo (New York Post)
- Hospitality Award - Goes to a favorite restaurant in each borough as chosen by hospitality industry professionals
Brooklyn - Winner: Peter Luger
Nominees: Peter Luger; Roberta's; al di la Trattoria
Bronx - Winner: Mike's Deli
Nominees: Mike's Deli; Bronx Alehouse; Roberto's; Pasquale's Rigoletto
Manhattan - Winner: Gramercy Tavern
Nominees: Katz's Delicatessen; Gramercy Tavern; Sylvia's Restaurant, the Queen of Soul Food™; RedFarm
Queens - Winner: Taverna Kyclades
Nominees: Taverna Kyclades; Kabab Café; Phayul
Staten Island - Winner: Lorenzo's Restaurant, Bar & Cabaret
Nominees: Denino's Pizzeria & Tavern; Lorenzo's Restaurant, Bar & Cabaret; Ruddy and Dean Steakhouse
- True Taste of NYC Award - Goes to an iconic dish served at an iconic NYC restaurant
Winner: 2nd Ave Deli (Hot Pastrami Sandwich)
Nominees: 2nd Ave Deli (Hot Pastrami Sandwich); Totonno's Pizzeria Napolitano (Thin-Crust Coal-Oven Pizza); J.G. Melon (Burger)
- Nightowl Club Award presented by E.B. Cohen Insurance & Risk Management - Goes to the important and/or influential club and/or operator
Winner: Marquee New York
Nominees: Marquee New York; Brooklyn Bowl; Output
- Nightowl Bar Award presented by E.B. Cohen Insurance & Risk Management - Goes to the important and/or influential bar and/or owner
Winner: Employees Only
Nominees: Employees Only; 67 Orange Street; Electric Room at Dream Downtown
- #HospitalityGuruAward - Goes to the restaurant with the best food Social Media presence - makes you drool, laugh and captures your attention
Winner: Milk Bar
Nominees: Joe & Misses Doe; Milk Bar/Christina Tosi; Black Tap Burgers
- Hospitality Technology Award - Goes to a technology platform enhancing the way the hospitality industry operates (nominees are members of the Alliance)
Nominees: ADP; AYC Media; BentoBox; ChefMod; delivery.com; Dine Market; Harri; NCR Aloha; Paycom; Tripleseat; Valiant; Vitabyte POS; Wisely
For more information about the New York City Hospitality Alliance, please visit: www.thenycalliance.org.
Four Star - E.B. Cohen Insurance & Risk Management; Fox Rothschild LLP
Three Star - BHB Pest Elimination; Citrin Cooperman; CohnReznick; Diageo; Empire Merchants; HGR Group Insurance; Imperial Bag & Paper Co.; Master Purveyors; MICROS Retail Systems; Manhattan Beer Distributors; Paycom; Tommyrotter Vodka & Gin; Vero Water; Howard Goldstein, LUTCF (Employee Benefit and Healthcare Reform Specialist, Representative of the Hospitality Health Select planTM)
Partners - Agency 21 Consulting, Bullfrog + Baum, El Media, Great Performances, Marquee NY, Total Food Service
The inaugural New York City Hospitality Alliance Awards took place on Tuesday, May 10th, 2016, from 6:30PM to 10:00PM at Marquee New York, located at 289 10th Avenue.
# # #
About New York City Hospitality Alliance
The New York City Hospitality Alliance is a non-profit-trade association representing restaurants and nightlife establishments throughout the five boroughs. Formed in September 2012 by a group of well-noted hospitality operators, The Alliance provides a unified voice for the industry in the halls of government, in the media, and is a one-stop resource for industry-specific advice, education, events and cost-saving services. Through the support and involvement of its members, The Alliance is committed to advancing - with a clear and unified voice - an agenda focused on opportunity, economic investment and job creation.