As of August 15th, 2018, certain NYC businesses are now required by law to separate their organic waste.
Per the NYC Department of Sanitation, if your businesses meet the minimum requirements below, then you must comply with the new Business Organic Rules.
As of August 15, 2018
- Food service establishments with a floor area of at least 15,000 square feet
- Food service establishments that are part of a chain of 100 or more locations in NYC
- Retail food stores with a floor area of at least 25,000 square feet
As of July 19, 2016
- Food service establishments in hotels with 150 or more rooms
- Arenas and stadiums with a seating capacity of at least 15,000 people
- Food manufacturers with a floor area of at least 25,000 square feet
- Food wholesalers with a floor area of at least 20,000 square feet
To learn more about commercial organics requirements, please visit nyc.gov/businessorganics
Additional reminder: All businesses, regardless of size or type, have been required to recycle metal, glass jars and bottles, rigid plastic, clean paper and cardboard for years. These items must never be mixed with garbage. For more information on these requirements, please visit nyc.gov/businessrecycling